Friday, July 11, 2014

Adventures in Cape Town

One of my bucket list destinations is/was South Africa.  I never really cared which part of South Africa, really, just as long as I got there.  Using the 4th of July/Zambian Heroes Day/Zambian Unity Day 5-day weekend provided the perfect chance to visit the Rainbow Nation.  Pretty much every American in the Embassy made Cape Town sound like a utopia, their preferred African destination for their R&R breaks.  A fellow intern, Bren - our Midwestern-ness made us fast friends -  and I hopped on a plane with quite a few boisterous missionary teenagers on Friday the 4th.  We arrived to pouring rain and wind, the type of weather perfect for a movie and lounging around indoors.  This wasn't really part of our plans, but neither of us minded all that much given that Lusaka, similar to Tucson, seems to have nothing but cloudless days.  In fact, until that point, I'm not sure I'd seen rain for at least six months.  Anyway, some of the highlights of the weekend:

The view from our hotel room.  The Parliament building is in foreground, with Table Mountain in the back.

I took my Jayhawk to the top of Table Mountain.

 Bren and I looked on in horror at this guy helping people propel down the mountain.  WHY would you do this?


The Victoria and Albert Waterfront, which is both a giant Navy Pier-like tourist trap and a working pier.

No comments:

Post a Comment