Sunday, September 5, 2010

Almost finished with training

Hello my lovelies!
I just finished my second language proficiency interview, and I have advanced to an intermediate level in Hausa, miraculously. We have just returned from language immersion (mentioned in the last post), which was intense but totally worth it.
We went to a small town (3-4,000 ppl) within about 50 miles of the Nigerian border. I really bonded with the people there, actually more than I have with my homestay family, so that's weird. I definitely would have just moved right in, had PC chosen that particular post for me, but my friend Casey will do well there. I decided when I got here that I need to be willing to try anything because no matter what, as an "anasara," I'm going to look like an idiot doing it. Women here pound millet with these huge mortar and pestle thingies (which weigh like 25 pounds) all the live-long day. I decided to ask my new friend Assama to teach me how to do it, partially because I wanted to win them over and partially because I knew they'd find it HILARIOUS. Oh, and they did. Within 4.3 seconds of my pounding attempts, a crowd of about 8 women had gathered, and the laughter commenced. I kept saying, "Amma ina da kokari dayawa!" ("But I have a lot of effort!). They kept making me stop to check my hands for blisters - very sweet of them! I tried to continue for about 20 minutes, and it did in fact win me some street cred. You can also use the same mortar/pestle combo (and again, they are huge) to make peanut butter (which I have also made, go me!), so I may have to purchase this equipment to supplement my physical fitness routine. You should see the arms on these women - they are toned, trust me.

What else? We have two weeks left of training, and I think most of us are ready to be done, like, yesterday. I'm pretty sure being all alone in a new house in town will be uber-stressful, but I've thought that of a lot of things so far. Luckily s a group we've gotten through every challenge rather gracefully.

Thanks, as always, for all the cards and letter. It means the world to me. Shouts to Am and Melissa for being my most frequent correspondents and for keeping me posted on matters large and small. In closing, I'd like to make you super jealous and report that on our bumpy bus ride back from Maradi on Tuesday, we spotted two wild giraffes as we passed through the Dosso region (the home of the last wild herd of giraffes in West Africa).

I hope, one day soon, to post pictures. Until then, sai hankuri. Love, EL

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. We missed talking to you this week. Congratulations on reaching intermediate level Hausa! You may not be the best millet pounder in the village but I'm sure your efforts didn't go unnoticed.

    Love,

    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete